Monday 7 March 2016

Review: The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey

16101128



After the 1st wave, only darkness remains. After the 2nd, only the lucky escape. And after the 3rd, only the unlucky survive. After the 4th wave, only one rule applies: trust no one.

Now, it's the dawn of the 5th wave, and on a lonely stretch of highway, Cassie runs from Them. The beings who only look human, who roam the countryside killing anyone they see. Who have scattered Earth's last survivors. To stay alone is to stay alive, Cassie believes, until she meets Evan Walker. Beguiling and mysterious, Evan Walker may be Cassie's only hope for rescuing her brother-or even saving herself. But Cassie must choose: between trust and despair, between defiance and surrender, between life and death. To give up or to get up.

Why I waited this long to read this one is totally beyond me. I am so glad I have finally picked it up. I have seen the trailer for the movie and I just knew this is a book I would love. It still ended up om my shelf for some time. Why oh why? This book is totally YA/dystopian  meets the walking dead but with aliens.

I can always sort of tell when a man has written a book, its almost as if its more action based and let me tell you, this one was full of action. I was gripped all the way through. It managed to confuse me at times, so much so that I didn't have a clue weather someone was the good guy or the bad guy.

In 5th Wave we follow more then one person but somehow they are all connected in a way. In a world that has been invaded by aliens most human beings have been wiped out by one of the waves. Cassie is all on her own, so much so she is wondering if she is now the only human being left on the planet. You can almost feel the fear she lives in, which is incredible. While she is living by the motto: trust nobody and you stay alive by being on your own, others in the book take a very different path.

Its when Cassie finds herself with Evan that things really change for her. I am completely intrigued and sometimes confused by Evan, but just like Cassie I find myself drawn to him.

What I really liked tho is that its all so believable. Yes its aliens, yes this can more often then not go really wrong in a book but if we was invaded by aliens I can actually imagine it being something like this. Yancey has incredible world building skills and he created a really scary and creepy world that will stay with me for some time.

I really wish I would have picked this up earlier but better late then never. I have enjoyed the book throughout. It was filled with action in every chapter and it even had some romance too. Its super intense and unforgettable. The way everyone was connected really impressed me. I have come to really like all the characters and I really cant wait for the next book. But I also cant wait to watch the movie, which I have sadly missed on the big screen now.

All in all this has been a superb read.

No comments:

Post a Comment